Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Blogging on Kant, Politics, and Philosophy

"Cosmopolitan Right" is a juridical category used by Immanuel Kant to discuss the rational principles for lawful interaction of individuals, peoples, and states sharing a bounded earth. Kant says that cosmopolitan right is limited to universal hospitality. Specifically, he allows foreigners to visit lands to propose further interaction and commerce without being treated in a hostile manner; however, he balances this with a condemnation of Europeans' inhospitable behavior towards native peoples in their colonial activities. This idea of cosmopolitan right and hospitality forms the focus on my academic work in political theory, where I concentrate on global justice, indigenous peoples, and historical injustice.

I reserved the address "cosmopolitanright.blogspot.com" years ago, but never got around to blogging on it, mostly due to an actual dissertation on Kant's Cosmopolitan Right. Based on my work in my dissertation, I've published an article about cosmopolitan right and indigenous peoples, in the new journal Public Reason.

Now that I'm in a postdoctoral research position at Queen's University in Ontario, I thought I'd actually blog to help collect my thoughts for writing further articles. I was inspired by Gary Banham's blog about Kant and international relations. I'll probably be discussing Kant in great detail, but also a variety of other topics in political theory and politics more generally (or really, whatever grabs my interest).

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home